... a place to discover
Code of Conduct Policy:
(Adopted February 20, 2007)
Library patrons are expected to use the library, including its facilities, grounds, resources, and materials in a responsible, appropriate, and courteous manner. Illegal acts or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local laws, ordinances, or regulations are prohibited. Behavior that disturbs or infringes on the rights of other library patrons, staff, or volunteers, or which damages library materials and property is not permitted. This policy applies to patrons of all ages.
Actions prohibited include, but are not limited to:
- Engaging in disorderly conduct; drunken, dangerous or threatening behavior; fighting or challenging to fight; running; or using offensive or threatening words which disturb the good order of the library, and any other behavior that is disruptive to library use.
- Stealing, damaging, altering, or inappropriately using library property in the library or on library grounds, including library materials, computer hardware and software, printers, copiers, phones, furniture, and other equipment.
- Refusing to comply with requests by members of the library staff to comply with library policies.
- Using offensive or threatening behavior and language or behaving disrespectfully toward a library employee, volunteer, or patron.
- Blocking entryways, vestibules, book returns, restrooms, staircases, elevators, or other common areas.
- Any forms of harassment - physical, sexual, verbal - of library patrons, staff, or volunteers. Harassment may include initiating unwanted conversations, impeding access to the building, stalking, and the like.
- Displaying obscene or sexually explicit materials or Internet sites in violation of 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Sec. 5903. (See also Computer and Internet Use Policy)
- Excessive noise and other disturbances such as loud conversations, laughter, cell phone use, or music which is disturbing to others, separate from an authorized library program.
- Use of the library's staff telephones for cases other than emergencies.
- Soliciting, conducting surveys, and petitioning, except for library or library-related activities.
- Possessing or consuming alcohol or illegal drugs or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Smoking or other use of tobacco.
- Consuming food or beverages in any type container, except when sanctioned by the library.
- Being in the library without shoes or shirt or with offensive body odor or personal hygiene.
- Bringing animals or pets into the library, except for service animals or for library programs.
- Intentionally damaging, destroying, or stealing any property belonging to the library, a patron, or an employee.
- Removing library materials from the premises without authorization through established lending procedures.
- Using cell phones in the library. Cell phone calls must be taken in the building lobby or outside. Cell phones and pagers should be turned off or set to "manner mode" when in the library.
- Moving library furniture, beyond ordinary use, without library staff permission.
- Leaving a child under the age of 10 unattended by a responsible person. (see also Unattended Children Policy)
- Misuse of restrooms. Smoking, bathing, hair-washing and doing laundry are not acceptable.
- Possessing weapons or explosives of any kind on library property, except those worn by uniformed officials.
- Indecent exposure.
- Using sports equipment including bicycles, skateboards, and other wheeled devices in the library, with the exception of motorized ADA devices, wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers.
- Trespassing in non-public areas without the permission of library staff.
- Abuse of borrowing privileges.
- Failure to comply with this policy and/or the library's established rules, regulations, and procedures will result in a warning and may also result in exclusion from the library for the day or for a specified period of time or permanently, and/or arrest.
- Library staff and volunteers will not hesitate to call the Moon Township Police if they feel there is an imminent danger to patrons, staff, or the library facilities.
- The following activities are serious offenses and will result in permanent expulsion from the library:
- Theft or damage of library materials or property.
- Communication of threats, physical violence, or sexual offenses.
- Any person who is asked to leave the library as a result of violating these guidelines and refuses to do so shall be considered trespassing. The library staff will contact the Moon Township Police Department in all such cases.
- Any patron whose privileges have been denied by library staff may appeal the decision to the Moon Township Public Library Board of Trustees within thirty (30) days of the decision.
October 14, 2007
© 2007-2013 Moon Township Public Library